Chief Instructor Australia / National Director
SENSEI JOHN CARLYLE, KANCHO, GODAN (5TH DAN)
Sensei Carlyle holds a Godan (5th degree black belt) in Matsubayashi-ryu Karate-do and has been practicing Karate-do for nearly fourty years.
Sensei Carlyle was a direct student of the late Soke Takayoshi Nagamine, Hanshisei 10th Dan, the second generation headmaster and son of the founder of Matsubayashi-ryu, Osensei Shoshin Nagamine.
Since the passing of Soke Nagamine in April 2012, Sensei Carlyle has returned to Okinawa to receive instruction from the senior instructors of Matsubayashi-ryu. Sensei Carlyle has since become a student and official representative of Sensei Toshimitsu Arakaki, Hanshi 10th Dan, who was also a direct student of Osensei Shoshin Nagamine.
He has travelled to Okinawa and the United States multiple times to train with Soke Takayoshi Nagamine, and senior Matsubayashi-ryu instructors. Sensei Carlyle has received his grade, dojo owner license, and teaching certification directly from Soke Nagamine.
Sensei Carlyle was also the first instructor to host Soke Nagamine in the Oceania region in 2007, when he brought Soke Nagamine to Australia for over a week of intensive training, and an open-styles seminar.
You can see Sensei Carlyle's lineage here.
A brief history of Sensei Carlyle's Matsubayashi-ryu history:
- 2013 Hosted Sensei Toshimitsu Arakaki in Australia for intensive training.
- 2012 Travelled to Okinawa to train intensively with Sensei Yoshitaka Taira, Sensei Toshimitsu Arakaki, Sensei Kiyoshi Shinjo and Sensei Tetsuo Miyagi over a two-week period.
- 2010 Travelled to Okinawa to participate in the World seminar and 75th anniversary celebrations hosted by the WMKA and Soke Takayoshi Nagamine.
- 2007, 2009, 2011 Hosted Soke Takayoshi Nagamine in Australia for intensive training and seminars.
- 2007 Travelled to the USA to participate in World Seminar with Soke Takayoshi Nagamine.
- 2006 Travelled to Okinawa to train at the Nagamine Dojo under the personal instruction of Soke Takayoshi Nagamine.
- 2001, 2005 Hosted senior USA instructor Sensei Fred Christian, Kyoshi 8th Dan in Australia.